Saturday, August 26, 2006

RECUERDOS - Introduction


(My second compilation of poems and essays in English, Spanish and Tagalog was launched in Madrid, Spain in May 10, 2009. The proceeds from the book launch were donated to the USTHS 80 Scholarship Fund. Copies are now available from all Central Book Store branches nationwide as well as a few other bookstores.)

In 1989, I came out with my first compilation of poems, essays, short stories, editorials and columns written in college, mostly for The New Builder where I became Editor-in-Chief.

After college, in spite of my love for poetry, personal circumstances required that I set my pen aside. I would have wanted to live a poet’s life but it wasn’t meant to be. As most from my generation, I had to pursue a corporate career. That and, later on, my family were to become my most important priorities.

During what would eventually be a long hiatus, the closest I ever got to writing anything that may even be remotely considered as literature, were my love letters to my (then future) wife and the dedications which close friends insisted that I write on their behalf in greeting cards for their love interests. I never really stopped reading poetry though.

In fact, I have always thought that one of the fringe benefits of working in the salt mines and earning a decent wage was it provided me the means to buy and own the books which, until then, I could only pick from the shelves and browse through as I whiled some of my spare time away at libraries and bookstores.

However, I promised myself that I would someday write again and publish my next compilation by the time I turn 40. I’m well over 40 now and so, as far as the promise goes, this is now overdue.

As we age, there is a growing tendency to reminisce on our life experiences. Some of these memories are captured in photographs neatly tucked in albums which give us pleasure as we look through them over and over again. Mementos we keep and happily share with family and friends.

I guess it could be said that rather than choosing verbal imagery, it might have been more efficient had I simply shared some photographs. After all, as the ancient Chinese proverb points out, a picture paints a thousand words. However, while my talent for writing is already at risk of being taken to task by some, I believe that my abilities for either painting or photography would be even more so.

Moreover, as my family and I have moved from one house to another several times over the years, we have misplaced so many pictures from earlier times. Many of these are of people who have passed away and places which are no longer the way we remember them to be. Their memories now exist only in our minds and even there, we each have our own impressions.

Thus, Recuerdos, the Spanish term for the nouns “souvenirs” and “memories”, is meant as a keepsake for family and friends like you. It is my way of sharing some memories I have kept for posterity, views of the world as I had seen it, and elements of life to which I have found attachment. As a verb, “recuerdo” also means “I remember”, which probably makes the title even more appropriate given that these writings are obvious fruits of retrospection.

Portraits is a showcase of personal relationships, the same prevalent theme as in my first compilation, and a couple of attempts at self-description. From my college poems, the tone might have shifted from that of an apprehensive, single young man uncertain of what lies ahead to that of a reminiscing middle-ager coming to terms; from a lover and a son to that of a husband and a father who has experienced both joy and pain in more meaningful ways.

Landscape and Still-Lives hope to reflect the views of a world traveler who has been to more spectacular places, perhaps indulged in more sophisticated treats or even acquired more impressive possessions only to miss places and objects from an earlier, simpler time in his life.

Sketches shows the beginnings of my published works, a glimpse of my college poems. Here, I offer some of my personal favorites from that period together with their more recent and better Spanish translations.

And then, there are some essays .

In all, Recuerdos is my tribute to some of the people, places, and even some of the things I hold dear. For what else is there for me to write about other than what have become familiar?

I am a keen student of the Spanish language and a firm believer in the beauty of Tagalog in its more pristine form. Since both languages are an integral part of my Filipino heritage, I took the liberty of including in this compilation the Spanish
and Tagalog versions of some of my poems in an effort to help sustain the vanishing craft of writing in Spanish by Filipinos and to add my small voice to those of many other writers struggling to keep Tagalog literature alive and well.

Twenty years ago, not a few of my friends were surprised to find out that I wrote poetry. This is due in part to the fact that I wrote these while hiding behind the name "Rocky". I'm sure this project would still be a surprise to many of my friends today.

Well, at the end of the day, the writings included in this compilation may not be of much literary value but if you should find them amusing, then for me, that really should be enough.

PS. I have no plans of quitting my day job anytime soon.

46 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very impressive and heartwarming.It resembles the works of a literary genius.
Thank you for giving us a glimpse of your masterpieces.Truly amazing.

9/17/2006 04:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Authentically Ronnie. I see Ronnie in every article; in the lengthy discourse, in the burst of passion, in the braggadocio that just as quickly withdraws to diffidence. Fine read and more. Can I say brilliant? Better do so before the paintings get posted.

9/19/2006 06:32:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The writer has matured and it shows in his later works. Great job!

9/25/2006 05:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i had to write to you to tell you how much i enjoyed reading your pulilan article. it takes a very good writer to transport his/her reader to another plane of existence without him or her knowing it. reading your article evoked memories of my own youth

10/24/2006 11:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On Susan Claire A: "with love it's not enough to suffer, you have to ask for suffering" -immortal line

10/26/2006 07:33:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On Colonel's Daughter: I like this one. Just straight to the heart. So simple. Seems it was written in one gush as poems should be written

10/26/2006 07:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On Second Wound: Poems in this selection show a quantum leap in imagery and form. Have substance and the right amount of melancholy.
Facing East is wrung from the gut. reminds me of Neruda - he should pay homage to you here, at least in this poem. You mothered a poem!

10/26/2006 07:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no doubt, you are a good writer, with your expressive tone and choice of words that bring out the life out of your stories..i salute you!

11/02/2006 06:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is always nice to come across well-written poems and essays which don't require the readers to check the dictionary after each and every line. (Except for those in Tagalog and Spanish of course.) I hope to read the rest of your works sometime soon. Thank you for sharing your these with us and congratulations!

11/13/2006 12:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mahusay at magaling nga

11/21/2006 05:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your poems, it is a little sad talking about my brother that passed away. But even if it is sad I still like some parts that are happy. I like your poems because the words that you used are great,clear and understandable even for a kid like me.

12/03/2006 11:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ang galing! You would never know how moved I was. Guess I'll be a fan for life.

12/03/2006 11:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a way of touching people's lives through your writings. Keep it up and God bless always.

12/04/2006 12:22:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your writings reflect your great love for the people around you and the places and events that are memorable to you.

My favorite section is "My Second Wound". The poems are very personal, one can easily relate to them. The poem "My Michael" touched me very deeply. No matter how many times I read it, it always make me cry.

For those people like me who are not so articulate, you are able to help us express our feelings through your writings.

No doubt you are blessed with a special gift which I hope you will continue to share with others.

12/06/2006 09:20:00 PM  
Blogger Raymond Ho said...

I glanced through your poetry page, and was pleasantly surpised by the abstractness portrayed in your writings. I then popped by your essay page, which I thoroughly enjoyed very much. It speaks of the ups and downs encountered in a life journey, depicting an ernest aspect of your life, Rocky.

If I may request, will you be posting blogs regularly on this page? I would like to visit this website frequently, since it provides very interesting insights!

12/13/2006 01:37:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome dude! You are truly talented and thank you for sharing your blogsite.

12/17/2006 04:42:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely, ba-balik-balikan ko ito. Mahusay at Magaling kang tunay Ka Ronnie. Imagine, sa more than 30 years ng pagka-kilala at pag-kakaibigan natin, I did not realize na napakahusay mo palang sumulat. Akala ko nun ay hanggang love letters ka lang.

12/19/2006 12:24:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful poems. You were right. Looking at you, one would never know that you have the heart to write poems such as these =)

1/04/2007 03:04:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so grateful to you for writing that piece on Pulilan. Like you, my mom's family hails from Bulacan, the town I can not remember anymore. The piece brought back a lot of memories, some of which I've already forgotten. Buti na lang, very vivid pa sa memory mo. I've been here in the US since 1985. As much as I'm trying to expose my kids to our culture, I plan to print this piece and include it sa reading materials nila. Again, many thanks.

1/10/2007 04:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm terribly impressed with your blog! Wonderful poetries. Yet to read the short writeups. Now I understand your mails on advice & encouragement you've given me in the past were not copied from some books 8~). Continue to write & I'll be visitng your blog site to read up. Very inspiring & engaging.

1/31/2007 04:44:00 PM  
Blogger Ka Louie said...

Pards, what else do you want me to say? It's nice that you are harnessing the "dot" that you once were involved in. Keep on connecting the dots my friend! That way you get to influence people from near and distant places! Kudos partner!

2/07/2007 11:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dre, ang tindi mo talaga. Grabeng flashback ang nangyari sa akin habang binabasa ko yung ginawa mong article about your high school experiences. I take my hat off to you!

More power and blessings from God.

2/15/2007 05:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't been to Madrid but people I know who have been there say it was indeed one of the most beautiful places to visit with great sceneries,great food and historic background.Your article further validated that impression.

Also,great blogsite.I haven't read all of your literary masterpieces yet but I certainly enjoyed reading the poems.

3/04/2007 07:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the builder adviser failed to edit early poems with a "chisel" (out of fear?). rocky less composed here, blame it on his youth. in his 40's,he is controlled, with lots of passion about the joys and pains of love but not cloying, philosohical about life but not didactic,the relationships very personal but not sentimental, everything kept in check. the nature poems celebrate life. the equation between poet and carpenter an exciting read.the pleasure from reading the poems is the communicative expression, there is bonding between poet and reader who this time reads not with a "pick axe" but with the heart, the mind and the spirit.a poem has to be felt and understood, period.and this is where rocky succeeds.

4/27/2007 10:20:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work! I admire the simplicity and honesty which makes the message more strong and personal. Thanks for the chance of knowing you (would have been better if under a different circumstance) and your work. I'm honored to be your physician. RVD

6/24/2007 08:22:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Walang kakupas-kupas...husay!

7/15/2007 06:34:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@Last Night In Madrid: Beautiful! I like it much. Let's say reading it gives me that smug feeling I am a well-liked friend of the author. It has all the elements of a good essay. Thought provoking, poignant and touching, well crafted, no superfluity in the language, personal and sincere.

9/06/2007 05:33:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rocky,
I never thought you could write that well, despite MAPUA. Your website is a serious study in Psychology. I am baffled ... as if answering "why did the chicken cross the road?"

9/09/2007 03:19:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

La mayoría de la poesía inglesa soy muy triste y personal. Los poemas en español tienen imágenes muy buenas pero hay algunos lapsos en la gramática. Usted necesita la ayuda de un buen redactor. Los artículos y ensayos son pocos pero bien escrita. ¡Muy agradable!

10/01/2007 04:23:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ngayon ko lang nabasa ito. Nagustuhan ko halos lahat ng mga nabasa ko. Salamat.

3/23/2009 01:29:00 PM  
Anonymous weng sison said...

Got the book and have read a few! Sobrang sad nung poem about Michael. Felt the pain. Kaya pala kasama sya sa dedication mo. yabang ko sa kids ko, I showed them the book. Pangit nga lang daw ang handwriting mo! Hehehehe

7/09/2009 01:17:00 AM  
Anonymous P. BENIGNO said...

MUY APRECIADO ROCKY:

MUCHAS GRACIAS POR LOS TRES EJEMPLARES DE TU LIBRO RECUERDOS. ES UN BUEN REGALO. PONDRE UN EJEMPLAR EN EL RICONCITO QUE HEMOS RESERVADO PARA LOS ESCRITORES SANBEDISTAS.

SI PUEDES, PASA POR MI OFICINA Y TE REGALRE MIS DOS ULTIMAS PUBLICACIONES.

TAMBIEN PARA ACLARAR TU NOMBRE Y DURECCION, QUE NO ENCUENTRO EN ALUMNI DIRECTORY DEL AñO 2001.

UN FUERTE ABRAZO

7/19/2009 07:30:00 PM  
Anonymous Dave said...

Reading through your poetry, I’d have to say Visiting Bosjep would have to be your strongest work.

Not only does it contain the most genuine emotions on paper, but the sadness seems to leap out of the page. The weight of it pervades. It’s a very strong piece of imagery
that remained consistent and organic till the end. To say so many by not saying a lot. At least to me is what is most poetic. The restraint to say the obvious is most beautiful in that work.

Regarding your book, you were right about splitting the poetry into sections. The continuous growth on the appreciation of
metaphor, much like a cadence, builds up. It is very tangible. Perhaps echoing your march back into memory.

Congratulations!

9/15/2009 10:03:00 PM  
Anonymous wye said...

Read your book while I was in Starbucks earlier today.

That piece "I No Longer Breathe Butterflies" grabs me. Very easy on reading, and shifting from one imagery to the next. Great choice of words; easily one of my favorites.

9/30/2009 11:08:00 PM  
Blogger Net said...

can you compose a poem about being far away from home?

10/13/2009 12:24:00 PM  
Anonymous Ana Marie Ochoa Fernandez said...

Been reading Recuerdos. Loved your essay on Pulilan---the love and the passion rings true.

12/09/2009 08:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mahusay at magaling nga!

12/30/2009 02:53:00 AM  
Anonymous Patricia said...

I have read most of your work in "Recuerdos". They are nice literary pieces that would surely make the reader excited to read them over and over again. Page 30 made mama cry a bucket of tears while your poem on your gall bladders made her crack a smile. Your essay on Bulacan made me remember my brief vacations when I was little.

Your book inspired me more to be a good writer. You made me realize that I can be a great professional in the near future yet at the same time, I can be a great writer as well.

1/05/2010 04:55:00 PM  
Anonymous BedKnobsnBrumstx said...

I just received your wonderful book. Thank you so very much. It makes me so proud to know someone like you. I briefly glanced through the pages and I literally got goose bumps. Well done my dear Rocky! I tip my hat off to you.

2/01/2010 06:28:00 PM  
Anonymous mackoyv@surfshop.net.ph said...

actually, i as was reading through the introduction to your book, what came into mind was "here comes rocky, sharing with us his soul tru a little window he opened... " not wide enough to enter, but just wide enough for one to catch a glimpse of his minds eye...o di ba?...

se me parece comohas abierto la ventana del ojo-mente, no tan abierto, pero vastante para que uno podria mirar adentro del alma del escritor...no te parece?...
la ventana de tu ojo-mente...esto es que has impartido para el aprovecho de sus leedores...

la poesia es una de las artes co que la critica no vale...solo si la proesia y el ritmo no alcanza, o no es existente...buen hecho...

2/02/2010 06:23:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read your book and all I can say is bravo! Well done!

11/03/2010 07:01:00 PM  
Anonymous claire said...

wow, i did not know that my son-in-law is a "jack of all trades" and master of all. It is rather late for me to visit your website, but it is better late than never.

cpg

5/26/2011 07:11:00 AM  
Anonymous deah said...

I just finished reading your book and I really enjoyed reading your life story esp. the poems.The book was very entertaining.I wouldn't mind sharing it with my friends esp. those who like to read romantic poems:)

Let me know if you plan to write more books in the future.

I wish you more success and more power!

Kudos!

10/23/2012 09:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Einstein said...

Ronnie Cabanes' debut in literature - Recuerdos (Spanish for “memories"), is both story and poem.

It is a story because of its sweet and striking narrative with an honest, graceful structure and a rich setting of the writer’s childhood. But it is like a poem because it communicates meaning not only in surface plot but in tangible objects that anchors the subjects and link together the fallen pieces of the writer's story.

Like most small, non-commercial books, this book will be overlooked by most. But it should not be. There is a great deal of love in it for its characters, and that affection spills off the page onto the reader.

Thank you for sharing this small piece of literature, Rocky. You will be glad to know that it has its own special place in my library :)

4/01/2014 12:11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks boss rocky for sharing with me your book. i'm still finishing reading recuerdos but i can say that i enjoy reading every pages of it. It increases my vocabulary specially with the Tagalog words that is seldom used in our generation hahaha peace. God bless you always

5/09/2014 01:31:00 AM  
Anonymous Melvin said...

I just got home and received my copy of your book. Thanks so much. I started reading it now, intro pa lang ganda na. Marami pa akong gagawin pero di ko mabitawan. Just had to finish reading it til the end.

1/07/2015 05:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home